Australia to invest billions of dollars in nuclear submarine shipyard
Add Reply
china watch
2024-10-16 19:17:29 UTC
SYDNEY (Reuters) - Australia said on Wednesday it would invest billions of
dollars over the next two decades to expand a shipyard in Western
Australia that would become the maintenance hub for its nuclear-powered
AUKUS submarine fleet.

The government will make an initial investment of A$127 million ($85
million) over three years to upgrade facilities at the Henderson shipyard
near Perth, Defence Minister Richard Marles said in a statement.

"The Defence Precinct at Henderson will optimise Australia's shipbuilding
and sustainment industry while supporting continuous naval shipbuilding in
Western Australia and Australia's nuclear-powered submarine pathway,"
Marles said.

The facility will also build the new landing craft for the Australian army
and the new general-purpose frigates for the navy, he said.

The shipyard "will underpin tens of billions of dollars of investment in
defence capabilities" over the next 20 years and create about 10,000 local
jobs, Marles said.

The AUKUS defence pact signed in 2021 between Australia, Britain and the
U.S. will see Australia buy up to five nuclear-powered submarines from
Washington in the early 2030s before jointly building and operating a new
class, SSN-AUKUS, with Britain, roughly a decade later.

AUKUS will be the first time Washington has shared nuclear-propulsion
technology since it did so with Britain in the 1950s though the submarines
would not be nuclear armed. The deal is expected to cost Australia up to
about A$368 billion ($245.8 billion) by 2055, according to government
estimates.

($1 = 1.4975 Australian dollars)

https://www.reuters.com/
Petzl
2024-10-16 21:45:54 UTC
On Wed, 16 Oct 2024 21:17:29 +0200 (CEST), china watch <***@china.ca>
wrote:
<https://www.reuters.com/business/aerospace-defense/australia-invest-billions-dollars-nuclear-submarine-shipyard-2024-10-16/>
https://t.ly/PdNaj
Post by china watch
SYDNEY (Reuters) - Australia said on Wednesday it would invest billions of
dollars over the next two decades to expand a shipyard in Western
Australia that would become the maintenance hub for its nuclear-powered
AUKUS submarine fleet.
Australia is already working to remove ties to USA and Britain's orbit
You believe that US and UK are going to allow Australia to get them!
Probably why King Charles III is here now?
--
Petzl
As Winston Churchill once said;

The Monarchy is important,
not for the power it wields,
but for the power it denies others.

"Dieu et mon droit" God is my legal right
<https://www.yourdictionary.com/droit>
P. Coonan
2024-10-17 19:52:36 UTC
Post by china watch
SYDNEY (Reuters) - Australia said on Wednesday it would invest
billions of dollars over the next two decades to expand a shipyard in
Western Australia that would become the maintenance hub for its
nuclear-powered AUKUS submarine fleet.
Australia is already working to remove ties to USA and Britain's orbit
You believe that US and UK are going to allow Australia to get them!
Probably why King Charles III is here now?
Don't buy any bargain nuke subs from China without a "subfax" for water
damage.
Petzl
2024-10-17 20:25:28 UTC
Post by china watch
SYDNEY (Reuters) - Australia said on Wednesday it would invest
billions of dollars over the next two decades to expand a shipyard in
Western Australia that would become the maintenance hub for its
nuclear-powered AUKUS submarine fleet.
Australia is already working to remove ties to USA and Britain's orbit
You believe that US and UK are going to allow Australia to get them!
Probably why King Charles III is here now?
Don't buy any bargain nuke subs from China without a "subfax" for water
damage.
Led to believe they are easily detected and sunk. that's if crew are
not killed by poisonous air our breakdowns, pretty common I'm told.

Japan could already make nuclear Submarines so could France
Both could become a new allegiance choice.
Both for them would be a win, win situation.
Examples Japan needs the space, Australian resources, acceptable
friendly western culture, believe would probably easily fit in.

France needs a population to "police" the south pacific, pushy
arrogance though, worse than what we would be trying to get away from.
--
Petzl
Our parties are all odious morons at best